Our mission is to increase empathy across cultures and strengthen communities through responsible travel experiences.
Human Connections is a non-profit organization that connects local people with international audiences. Our work starts with our partners — remarkable artisans, tradespeople, and organizations in Mexico’s Riviera Nayarit. We then invite travelers and students to interact with our partners through day tours and student programs.
Through these programs, we provide a platform for local people to share their culture and have agency over their stories. These interactions are also financially rewarding for our partners, as we pay them fairly for their time and help increase their sales. Our goal is to empower local communities while fostering conversations that shift perspectives and increase understanding.
Our impact is focused around four objectives: deepened cultural pride, more stable businesses, increased empathy, and more awareness about responsible tourism. Here is how our interactions foster these outcomes over time.
Impact on Partners
- Short Term: Partners generate income, and are recognized for their entrepreneurship, resilience, and traditions.
- Medium Term: Partners have more stable businesses, and feel proud of their individual accomplishments and cultural identities.
- Long Term: Partners report that their businesses are successful. Their experiences demonstrate the power of responsible tourism to strengthen a community.
Impact on Travelers
- Short Term: Travelers gain a more informed, empathetic perspective about Mexico and responsible tourism.
- Medium Term: Travelers return to their communities and share the knowledge they gained, helping to break stereotypes around different cultures.
- Long Term: Travelers apply lessons of empathy and social responsibility to their interactions, professions, and future travels.